- 15 min.
- 25 min.
- 8 servings
Black Olive Cornbread Wedges with Chorizo Tomato Gravy
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 (6.5 oz.) package Martha White® Yellow Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 1 (2.25 oz.) can sliced black olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 links (about 6 oz.) Mexican chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons Martha White® All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, fresh or canned and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Chopped green onion, diced avocado, crumbled tortilla chips, chopped tomatoes and/or sliced fresh limes
- HEAT oven to 400º F. Spray 9-inch Lodge cast iron wedge pan* generously with no-stick cooking spray. Place in oven 6 to 7 minutes or until hot. Beat egg in large bowl. Add buttermilk, cornbread mix, 2 tablespoons melted butter, corn and olives. Mix thoroughly. Pour evenly into wedges in hot pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and keep warm.
- MEANWHILE, melt 2 tablespoons butter in 10-inch Lodge® cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Crumble chorizo in skillet. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until brown. Remove mixture to small bowl. Set aside. Wipe out skillet with paper towel.
- RETURN skillet to medium heat. Melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add flour. Whisk until mixture is golden. Add milk, tomatoes and paprika. Whisk about 3 minutes, or until thickened. Add chorizo mixture to gravy.
- TO SERVE, place wedge of cornbread on each plate, top with 1/2 cup chorizo tomato gravy. Garnish with green onion, avocado, tortilla chips, chopped tomatoes and/or a squeeze of lime juice.
- *Cornbread may be baked a 10-inch Lodge® cast iron skillet sprayed with no-stick cooking spray. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut into wedges.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/8), Calories 600 (Calories from Fat 240), Total Fat 27g (Saturated Fat 4.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 75mg, Sodium 1520mg, Total Carbohydrate 73g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 8g), Protein 16g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 8%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.