- 10 min.
- 45 min.
- 8 servings
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Flour
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/3 cup milk
- Heavy cream, whipped or ice cream, if desired
- HEAT oven to 350°F. For filling: STIR together butter, sugar, vanilla and cocoa. Set aside.
- For sugar syrup: PLACE butter in 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Place in oven just until melted. Combine sugar and water in medium saucepan. Heat until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.
- For crust: PLACE flour in medium bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk. Stir with fork just until mixture begins to pull away from sides of bowl. Knead dough on lightly floured surface just until smooth. Roll out dough to 12 x 10-inch rectangle.
- SPREAD cocoa mixture over dough leaving about 1/2-inch strip on one long side uncovered. Beginning with other long side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Pat water on uncovered edge. Press to seal. Cut into 12 slices. Arrange slices in baking dish over melted butter. Pour sugar syrup carefully around and over rolls. (This looks like too much liquid, but crust will absorb it.)
- BAKE 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes before serving. Serve with cream, whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/8 of recipe), Calories 560 (Calories from Fat 250), Total Fat 28g (Saturated Fat 12g, Trans Fat 0.5g), Cholesterol 40mg, Sodium 570mg, Total Carbohydrate 75g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 51g), Protein 3g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 8%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.