- 15 min.
- 45 min.
- 6 servings
Cilantro Lime Corn Meal Dumplings in Chorizo Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 3/4 pound fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded, stemmed and diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 1/4 cup Martha White® All-Purpose Flour
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes or regular diced tomatoes
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (6.5 oz.) package Martha White® Yellow Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Sour cream, chopped avocado, chopped cilantro and/or lime wedges
- HEAT 1 tablespoon oil in Lodge® cast iron 5-quart fryer, over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook 2 to 3 minutes, using back of spoon to break into pieces. Add chicken. Cook 2 minutes. Add onion, celery, carrots, poblano pepper and salt and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic. Cook 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons oil. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Stir well, scraping bits off bottom of pan. Cover. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- STIR together cornbread mix, lime peel, milk, sour cream and 1/2 cup cilantro in medium bowl. Mixture will be thick. Set aside 10 minutes to ensure liquid is absorbed into cornmeal. Drop by tablespoonfuls into simmering soup. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until puffed and firm.
- TO SERVE, spoon a couple dumplings into each bowl and ladle soup around dumplings. Garnish with sour cream, cilantro, avocado and/or a squeeze of lime juice.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/6), Calories 620 (Calories from Fat 340), Total Fat 37g (Saturated Fat 11g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 95mg, Sodium 2960mg, Total Carbohydrate 39g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 11g), Protein 32g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 120%, Vitamin C 40%, Calcium 8%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.