- 15 min.
- 30 min.
- 12 servings
Cranberry Pear Upside-Down Almond Cake
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 medium pear, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen, thawed, if frozen
- 1 1/2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted and finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream whipped with 1 tablespoon sugar, optional
- HEAT oven to 375ºF. For topping: Melt butter in 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Stir in sugars. Cook and stir just until well blended and sugar mixture covers bottom of skillet. Remove from heat. Arrange pear slices in a circular pattern with smaller end of slice toward the center. Distribute cranberries over pears, filling in center and spaces between pear slices.
- For cake: WHISK together flour, soda and sugar in medium bowl. Stir in melted butter, buttermilk, egg and almond extract until smooth. Stir in almonds. Pour over pears and cranberries in skillet. Spread evenly to edges.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Cool 2 to 3 minutes. Place serving plate over skillet. Carefully invert cake onto plate. Best served warm. Top with whipped cream, if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/12 of cake), Calories 270 (Calories from Fat 130), Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 330mg, Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 19g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 4%, Calcium 8%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.