- 20 min.
- 30 min.
- 6 servings
Creamed Chicken on Corn Meal Waffles
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup Martha White® All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
CORN MEAL WAFFLES
- 2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched Yellow Corn Meal Mix
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- MELT butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery, cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Gradually add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook stirring, one minute. Gradually add 2 cups of milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. .
- STIR in salt and pepper, thyme, chicken and peas. Cook, stirring occasionally, until hot, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low while preparing waffles.
- HEAT waffle iron. Combine corn meal mix, 1 3/4 cups milk and oil in medium bowl; stir until smooth. Batter will be thin. Pour batter into hot waffle iron. Bake about 10 minutes for each waffle or until steaming stops and waffle is dark golden brown. If batter thickens, add additional milk.
- CUT waffles into wedges or squares; place two or three on serving plate; top with creamed chicken.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/6), Calories 600 (Calories from Fat 270), Total Fat 31g (Saturated Fat 4.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 85mg, Sodium 930mg, Total Carbohydrate 56g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 16g), Protein 31g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 50%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 30%, Iron 25%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.