- 20 min.
- 14 min.
- 4 dozen cookies
"Go To" Southern Corn Meal Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Martha White® All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sugar for coating dough
- Powdered sugar
- HEAT oven to 375ºF. Combine butter and sugar in large mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- BLEND in flour, corn meal and salt on low speed just until well blended.
- ROLL dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in shallow bowl of sugar. Place balls on ungreased baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Flatten slightly with fingers.
- BAKE 13 to 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
- LEMON variation: Add 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel with vanilla. Drizzle baked cookies with glaze made with 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons lemon juice, if desired.
- ALMOND or PECAN variation: Stir 1 1/2 cups finely chopped sliced almonds or pecans into dough.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 of 48 cookies), Calories 100 (Calories from Fat 45), Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 140mg, Total Carbohydrate 14g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 7g), Protein 1g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 2%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.