Martha White Southern Sausage Cornbread
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup Martha White® Self-Rising Flour
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, melted
- HEAT oven to 450°F. Cook sausage in a 10 1/2-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat until thoroughly cooked. Drain sausage; set aside sausage, discard drippings. Place skillet in oven to heat.
- BEAT egg in medium bowl. Add corn meal mix, flour, milk and oil; stir until smooth. Stir in sausage. (Batter should be pourable. If batter is too thick, add additional milk.) Pour batter into hot skillet.
- BAKE 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.