- 30 min.
- 20 min.
- 8 servings
Roasted Poblano Chicken Posole with Floating Corn Cake Islands
- 5 poblano chile peppers
- 2 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon each Mexican oregano, ground cumin, salt and pepper
- 4 cups shredded, cooked rotisserie chicken
- 2 (15.5 oz.) cans white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6 oz.) package Martha White® Buttermilk Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 (11oz.) can Mexican style whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, for frying
- Sour cream, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, chopped or sliced radishes, lime wedges and/or chopped cilantro
- For soup: HEAT oven to broil. Place poblanos on baking sheet. Broil until skin is blistered and charred. Place in medium bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap for 30 minutes. Remove from bowl and peel. Cut off ends, slice open and lay flat. Scrape and discard seeds. Finely chop the chiles. Set aside.
- HEAT oil in 5-quart Lodge® cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic until soft. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Stir in the oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, shredded chicken, hominy and chopped poblanos. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- For corn cakes: WHISK cornbread mix, milk and egg. Stir in corn and Monterey Jack cheese. Heat about 2 tablespoons oil in 10 1/2-inch Lodge® cast iron skillet over medium high heat until very hot. Pour corn cake batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto skillet. Cook until golden brown. Turn and brown on other side. Add more oil as needed for remaining batter. To serve, spoon posole into bowls. Float a corn cake on top of soup. Top with desired toppings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/8 of recipe), Calories 530 (Calories from Fat 230), Total Fat 26g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 105mg, Sodium 1550mg, Total Carbohydrate 45g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 12g), Protein 28g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 120%, Calcium 15%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.