- 15 min.
- 45 min.
- 8 servings
Sweet Yellow Cornbread, Sausage and Tomato Pie with Garlic Cream
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 6 tablespoons Crisco® 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pint (2 cups) grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, divided
- 2 (7 oz.) packages Martha White® Sweet Yellow Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
Garlic Cream Drizzle
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix, OR Martha White® Plain Enriched Corn Meal
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fresh basil, cut into thin strips and shaved Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- HEAT oven 375ºF. Brown sausage over medium heat in 10-inch cast iron skillet, breaking up meat with wooden spoon. Drain on paper towels. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to pan along with tomatoes, onions, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally until tomatoes and onions begin to caramelize, about 8 minutes. Spread tomato mixture evenly over bottom of pan. Spoon sausage evenly over top.
- STIR together cornbread mix, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, milk, sour cream, eggs and 4 tablespoons olive oil until smooth. Pour over hot mixture in skillet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. If any tomatoes or onions stick to bottom of pan, replace on cornbread.
- STIR together 1/4 cup heavy cream, corn meal, garlic and basil leaves in 1 cup microwave safe measuring cup or bowl. Heat on HIGH in microwave for 45 to 60 seconds or until mixture boils. Discard garlic and basil. Whisk sour cream, 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in small bowl. Add to cream mixture. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons cream if needed to make it a drizzle consistency. Sprinkle cornbread with shaved Parmesan cheese and strips of basil. Serve with Garlic Cream Drizzle.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 slice, 1/8 of pie), Calories 470 (Calories from Fat 270), Total Fat 31g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 105mg, Sodium 990mg, Total Carbohydrate 42g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 9g), Protein 11g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%, Vitamin C 10%, Calcium 15%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.