- 35 min.
- 40 min.
- 8 servings
Tennessee Onion Soup Gratin
- 8 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pound Swiss chard, stems removed, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 1(15.5 oz.) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (6.5 oz.) package Martha White® Yellow Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup milk
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- HEAT Lodge® 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook bacon until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Add onions and sugar to bacon drippings. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized, about 20 minutes. Add chard, white beans, bacon, vinegar and red pepper. Add beef stock and water. Bring to a low simmer over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- HEAT oven to 400º F. Mix together cornbread mix, egg, butter and milk until blended. Fold in cheese cubes. Spoon batter over simmering soup. Place in oven. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve with metal spoon, breaking through cheese crust and scooping soup and cornbread into deep bowls.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/8 of recipe), Calories 380 (Calories from Fat 190), Total Fat 21g (Saturated Fat 10g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 70mg, Sodium 1120mg, Total Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 9g), Protein 19g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 80%, Vitamin C 35%, Calcium 35%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.