- 30 min.
- 15 min.
Bob's Bama Hoecake Sliders
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix
- 1 pound fully-cooked smoked sausage
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 (12 oz.) container pimento cheese or Homemade Pimento Cheese*
- 1 (16 oz.) jar spicy pickle slices, drained and quartered
- BEAT egg in medium bowl. Add buttermilk, oil and corn meal mix. Stir until smooth. Set aside.
- CUT sausage into 2-inch pieces. Cut each piece in half lengthwise.
- HEAT 12-inch Lodge Cast Iron Skillet or Griddle over medium to medium-high heat.
- COOK sausage in skillet 2 to 3 minutes on each side until browned. Remove from skillet. Drain on paper towel. Leave sausage drippings in skillet.
- SPOON tablespoonsful of corn meal mixture into hot skillet creating small (about 2-inch) hoecakes. Cook 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Turn and cook on other side. Remove hoecakes from skillet. Place on baking sheet. Keep warm in oven on low heat (about 200 degrees) while cooking remaining corn meal mixture. If needed, add 1 tablespoon shortening to pan for each batch of hoecakes.
- To build the hoecake sliders, TAKE one hoecake and spread with pimento cheese. Top with two slices of sausage and about four pickle quarters. Spread pimento cheese on another hoecake and then place it on top to create a small sandwich or slider. Hold it together with a toothpick if necessary. Repeat to make additional sliders. Serve immediately and enjoy.
- * Homemade Pimento Cheese
- COMBINE 8 ounces grated sharp white Cheddar cheese, 8 ounces grated red wax hoop cheese, (2 oz.) jar diced pimento (drained), 1/3 cup mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce in large bowl. Stir until blended. Store in covered container in refrigerator.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 of 16 sliders), Calories 310 (Calories from Fat 190), Total Fat 21g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 55mg, Sodium 910mg, Total Carbohydrate 18g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 2g), Protein 11g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 20%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.