- 45 min.
- 45 min.
- 4-1/2 dozen
Cheesy Polenta Fries
- 2 cups cold water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Martha White® Plain Enriched Yellow Corn Meal
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening, for deep frying
- COMBINE water, salt and cornmeal in a heavy saucepan; mix until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is very stiff, thick, and pulls away from sides of pan (4 to 7 minutes).
- REMOVE from heat. Add cheese; stir until melted.
- PAT mixture evenly into ungreased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish. Let stand uncovered 30 minutes at room temperature. Do not chill dough.
- CUT into 3 lengthwise sections and 18 crosswise strips.
- HEAT shortening to 365ºF in a deep saucepan or deep fryer.
- ADD sticks to hot shortening, one at a time, frying 3 sticks at a time for 3 minutes or until golden brown. (If sticks run together, cut apart after frying.) Drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 snack stick), Calories 45 (Calories from Fat 25), Total Fat 3g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 55mg, Total Carbohydrate 4g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 0g), Protein 1g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 0%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.