- 20 min.
- 40 min.
- 10 servings
Chicken Stew and Sausage Dumplings
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Flour
- 1/4 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- COOK sausage in medium skillet over medium heat until browned. Remove from skillet; drain on paper towels.
- MELT butter in 8-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery; cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Add 8 cups broth; add pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minutes.
- PLACE flour in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cooked sausage and remaining 1/2 cup broth; stir with fork just until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto boiling stew. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until dumplings are firm. Stir gently once or twice during cooking to prevent dumplings from sticking together. Carefully stir in chicken; cook until thoroughly heated.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/10), Calories 39 (Calories from Fat 200), Total Fat 22g (Saturated Fat 2.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 60mg, Sodium 1010mg, Total Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 2g), Protein 22g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 60%, Vitamin C 6%, Calcium 10%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.