- 15 min.
- 10 min.
- 12 waffles
Classic Corn Meal Waffles with Sausage and Gravy
SAUSAGE AND GRAVY
- 1/2 pound bulk sausage
- 3 tablespoons Martha White® All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil, or melted shortening
- COOK sausage in medium skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat until no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Blend in 1 1/2 cups milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Keep warm.
- HEAT waffle iron. Combine corn meal mix, 1 1/4 cups milk and oil in medium bowl; stir until smooth.
- POUR batter for each waffle into hot waffle iron. Bake until steaming stops and waffle is deep golden brown. If batter thickens during standing, add additional milk.
- SERVE waffles topped with sausage and gravy.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/6 2 waffles w/ gravy), Calories 520 (Calories from Fat 310), Total Fat 35g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 1210mg, Total Carbohydrate 38g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 6g), Protein 15g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 2%, Calcium 25%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.