- 30 min.
- 30 min.
- 8 servings
Festive Good Luck Cornbread Skillet
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can ready-to-serve fat-free chicken broth, with 1/3 less sodium
- 10 ounces frozen chopped collard or turnip greens, thawed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley, or cilantro
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Cut sausage in half lengthwise; cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Combine sausage, onion and garlic in 12-inch cast iron or ovenproof skillet; cook until sausage is browned and onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- ADD all remaining filling ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes.
- COMBINE all topping ingredients in large bowl; stir until smooth. Pour batter around edge of sausage mixture in skillet.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish with sour cream, pickled jalapeño chile slices and fresh parsley or cilantro leaves, if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/8), Calories 460 (Calories from Fat 280), Total Fat 30g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol 40mg, Sodium 1290mg, Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 3g), Protein 17g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 40%, Vitamin C 15%, Vitamin D %, Calcium 6%, Iron 25%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.