Famous Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 stick Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/3 cup All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- HEAT oven to 450°F. Combine flour and sugar in large bowl; mix well. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk; stir with fork until soft dough forms and mixture begins to pull away from sides of bowl.
- KNEAD dough on lightly floured surface just until smooth. Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with floured 2 1/2-inch round cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- BAKE 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Serve warm.
- To substitute for buttermilk, use 2 1/2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice plus milk to make 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons.