Festive Good Luck Cornbread Skillet
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can ready-to-serve fat-free chicken broth, with 1/3 less sodium
- 10 ounces frozen chopped collard or turnip greens, thawed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley, or cilantro
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Cut sausage in half lengthwise; cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Combine sausage, onion and garlic in 12-inch cast iron or ovenproof skillet; cook until sausage is browned and onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- ADD all remaining filling ingredients; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes.
- COMBINE all topping ingredients in large bowl; stir until smooth. Pour batter around edge of sausage mixture in skillet.
- BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish with sour cream, pickled jalapeño chile slices and fresh parsley or cilantro leaves, if desired.