Cajun Corn Meal Breaded Chicken and Fish
- 1 cup White Lily® Enriched Self-Rising White Cornmeal Mix
- 1 1/2 cups White Lily® Enriched Bleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 4 to 5 teaspoons Cajun seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast or catfish fillets
- 1 1/2 cups Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- MIX corn meal mix, 1/2 cup flour, seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon salt in pie plate. Place remaining 1 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in shallow bowl. Place buttermilk and hot sauce in separate shallow bowl.
- CUT chicken or fish lengthwise into 5 x 1-inch strips. Working in batches, coat with flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Dip into buttermilk to coat, then coat with corn meal mixture. Let stand 10 minutes.
- HEAT oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add chicken or fish to hot oil in batches. Cook 3 minutes. Turn and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes to until golden brown and internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F or fish flakes easily with fork. Drain on paper towels.