- 20 min.
- 10 min.
- 20 corn cakes
Roasted Corn and Red Pepper Corn Cakes with Avocado Salsa
|Yield||20 corn cakes|
- 2 ripe avocadoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup red and/or green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 to 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of one lime
- salt to taste
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sweet yellow corn kernels, if frozen thawed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched Yellow Corn Meal Mix
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, drained and chopped
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Crisco® Pure Canola Oil, for frying
- Combine avocado, green onion, bell pepper, tomatoes and cilantro in small bowl. Add lime juice, toss to coat evenly. Add salt to taste. Refrigerate until needed.
- Heat oven to 475º F. Combine corn and 2 teaspoons canola oil in a shallow pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until corn is lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- Combine egg, buttermilk, 1/4 cup canola oil, corn meal and sugar in large bowl; stir until blended. Stir in roasted corn, roasted red pepper and cheese.
- Heat about 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Spoon batter into hot oil by tablespoonfuls. Cook until brown, turn and brown on the other side. Cook in batches, adding more oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve with salsa.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/20 1 corn cake/salsa), Calories 120 (Calories from Fat 60), Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 210mg, Total Carbohydrate 13g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 2g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 8%, Iron 4%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.