- 30 min.
- 9 min.
- 9 shortcakes
Southern Biscuit Shortcakes
- No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 6 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped with 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- HEAT oven to 475°F. Coat large cookie sheet lightly with no-stick cooking spray. Combine strawberries and 1/3 cup sugar in medium bowl. Mix well. Set aside.
- COMBINE flour and 2 tablespoons sugar in large bowl. Mix well. Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add half-and-half. Stir with fork until mixture is moistened. If necessary, stir in additional half-and-half a tablespoon at a time until moist.
- KNEAD dough on lightly floured surface just until smooth. Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with floured 3-inch round cutter or knife into 9 shortcakes. Place about 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet.
- BAKE 7 to 9 minutes or until golden brown. Split shortcakes; fill with strawberries and top with whipped cream.
- Shortcakes can be served warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/9), Calories 400 (Calories from Fat 220), Total Fat 25g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol 75mg, Sodium 370mg, Total Carbohydrate 42g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 17g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 100%, Vitamin D %, Calcium 15%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.