- 20 min.
- 20 min.
- 6 servings
Sweet Cornbread Shrimp Cakes with Mango Salsa
- 1 (7-oz.) package Martha White® Sweet Yellow Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups peeled and chopped mango (about 2 to 3)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- Juice of 1 large lime
- Pinch salt
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined and coarsely chopped
- 3 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butter for sauteeing shrimp cakes
- Lemon wedges and parsley for garnish
- BAKE cornbread mix according to package directions, using milk and 1 egg. Cool and crumble.
- STIR together salsa ingredients. Allow to sit for 30 minutes. Serve or refrigerate until serving time.
- HEAT 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat in 12-inch cast iron skillet. Cook celery and 1/2 cup chopped red onion until tender, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer celery and onion to large bowl. Stir in shrimp, seafood seasoning, 2 eggs, mayonnaise, 1/3 cup cilantro, salt and pepper. Stir in crumbled cornbread until well blended. Using about 1/3 cup, form mixture into 12 shrimp cakes about 2 1/2-inches diameter. Place on a parchment or wax paper-lined baking sheet.
- HEAT 1 to 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium heat. Cook shrimp cakes until lightly browned and shrimp turn pink, about 4 minutes on each side. Cook remaining shrimp cakes, adding additional butter as needed. Place cakes on a serving platter. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley. Serve with mango salsa.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 420 (Calories from Fat 170), Total Fat 19g (Saturated Fat 7g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol 215mg, Sodium 1400mg, Total Carbohydrate 48g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 21g), Protein 18g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 40%, Vitamin C 80%, Vitamin D %, Calcium 15%, Iron 10%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.