- 10 min.
- 14 min.
- 8 biscuits
- No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup All-Vegetable Shortening
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- HEAT oven to 450ºF. Spray cookie sheet with no-stick cooking spray. Combine flour and sugar in large bowl. Blend well. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk. Stir with fork until soft dough forms and mixture begins to pull away from sides of bowl.
- KNEAD dough gently on lightly floured surface just until smooth. Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with floured 3-inch heart-shaped cutter. Place on prepared pan.
- BAKE 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Serve warm.
- To substitute for buttermilk, use 2 1/2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to make 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1 of 8 biscuits), Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 90), Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 420mg, Total Carbohydrate 25g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 3g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C %, Calcium 10%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.