- 10 min.
- 22 min.
- 8 to 10 servings
Easy Southern Cornbread
|Yield||8 to 10 servings|
- 1 teaspoon All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup Pure Vegetable Oil
- 2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched White Corn Meal Mix
- 2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched White Buttermilk Corn Meal Mix
- HEAT oven to 450ºF. Spoon shortening into 8-inch ovenproof skillet or 8-inch square or round baking pan. Place in oven to heat for about 5 minutes.
- WHISK egg in medium bowl. Stir in buttermilk, oil and corn meal mix until smooth. Batter should be creamy and pourable. If too thick, add 1 to 2 tablespoons additional buttermilk. Carefully tilt skillet to coat bottom with shortening. Pour batter into skillet.
- BAKE 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- SELF-RISING CORN MEAL VARIATION: Prepare as directed above but substitute self-rising corn meal for self-rising corn meal mix and increase buttermilk to 1 3/4 cups or milk to 1 1/2 cups.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/8), Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 80), Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat g), Cholesterol 30mg, Sodium 480mg, Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 2g), Protein 5g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A %, Vitamin C %, Calcium 15%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.